What is the Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award was created by bloggers, for bloggers. It’s a way to connect with fellow bloggers and support their blogs. “Liebster” is a German word meaning “sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant.” This online award is shared with bloggers who fit the definition.
Thank you to Brooke Brianna for nominating me for the Liebster Award! Brooke is a true #girlboss and writes about travel, fashion, and beauty. She’s really inspirational and will help you find the courage and tools to reach your goals. Check out her site for some great life tips. Plus her photos are beautiful! 🙂
A little bit about my favorite blog…
It’s so hard to choose just one favorite! Nomadic Matt and Goats on the Road are my top two. But, a blog that I’m loving right now is The Sweetest Way. Leah is a fantastic writer, her site looks so good, and she travels to some awesome destinations. But what I like most is her honest posts about blogging. In a space that’s increasingly filled with sponsored content and glamour shots, Leah has a refreshing, real personality and isn’t afraid to go against the grain. She writes candidly about her experience as a digital nomad and how she has created the ideal lifestyle for herself.
Leah also clearly explains how she monetizes her blog which is a great example for other bloggers to follow. Not only that, she shares tips to save money and reminds her readers to be realistic when thinking about finances. And for new bloggers (like me), she shares really helpful blogging resources to help you get off the ground and stay organized. Check out her site and follow her on social too 🙂
Ten Random Facts About Me
- I just got married (two weeks ago!) to my best friend and travel buddy. We met in college and have been adventuring together ever since.
- My favorite season is fall, and not just because my birthday is in October 🙂 I love watching the leaves changing, wearing sweaters, eating fall foods, and feeling the slight chill in the air.
- I studied Hotel Administration at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. If you like all things autumn, you have to visit upstate NY during harvest season! The leaves are exquisite and the weather is perfect for snuggling up with a cup of hot (local) apple cider.
- When I was a kid, my dream job was a Cruise Director. I still love taking cruises!
- I don’t really like sweets. If I had to have something sweet, it would be a yummy square of Ritual chocolate, which is made in my home state, Utah.
- Speaking of hometowns, I have two. I lived in Minneapolis (and later, Rochester), Minnesota until I was about 12, then my family moved to Salt Lake City, Utah, where I went to high school. I feel connected to both places, so I always have a long answer the question “where are you from?” However, I always have a good answer for “How did you survive so many winters?” and “What winter essentials do you recommend?” 😉
- From the age of 5 to 17, I was a competitive swimmer. It was a great sport to grow up in!
- I’m a cat person. I grew up with the two cutest kitties, Carl Sagan and Galileo.
- Call me crazy – I do not own a TV or a car. Living and working in Downtown Miami doesn’t require a car, and if I need to go somewhere further, I’ll take an Uber or rent a car. And no TV because we mainly watch Netflix, and we save a lot of money without a cable bill.
- Veggies are my favorite! I feel my best when I eat a plant-based diet; however, if a cultural experience involves eating meat or dairy, I’ll try it. For example, I couldn’t visit Mexico without eating some street tacos con carne or Peru without trying ceviche. But on a regular basis, I stick to plants.
Liebster Award Q&A
When did you decide to start blogging and why?
I have thought about starting a travel blog for a long time, at least a year, but earlier this year I set a goal for myself to actually start one. The hardest part was coming up with a name! I’ve always wanted to share my travel experiences and help others travel better, so a blog was the perfect channel to do that.
Do you like the direction your blog is going in? Any changes you would like to make?
I’m very happy with my progress so far. I’m proud to have partnered up with some fellow bloggers on collaboration and guest posts, and each post I’ve published seems to get a good response. That said, I still need to improve my social media presence and grow my subscriber base.
Who or what blogs do you get your inspiration from?
Pretty much every blog inspires me in some way! I learn so much about different types of posts, layout ideas, useful widgets, and more from reading a diverse variety of blogs. Although my blog isn’t focused on fashion or design, I like reading blogs that look pretty so that I can get some aesthetic inspiration for my own.
What are your favourite platforms to promote your blog on?
I didn’t expect to, but I really like Instagram. I don’t get the most blog clicks there, but I feel the strongest sense of community on Instagram and love interacting with other travelers.
When do you find time to blog?
In the morning and on weekends. I also like writing on airplanes when I don’t have many distractions. It’s definitely a balance, and even though most of my content is travel-related, I try to stay as unplugged as possible while traveling so I can enjoy each destination to the fullest.
What types of blogs do you mostly read?
Travel blogs… didn’t see that one coming, did you? I also get inspiration from vegan food blogs which keep things interesting in the kitchen!
What is number one on your bucket list?
I want to start my own hotel consulting business someday. Besides that, I want to travel the world and learn another language.
What are your top three travel destinations and have you visited them before?
Mexico City is one of my all-time favorite places, and it’s especially meaningful because I got married there. Melbourne, Australia is another favorite. I haven’t been to Southeast Asia yet but that’s on my list – Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, etc.
When you aren’t reading blog posts, what can we find you reading?
Library card holder right here! I’ve always enjoyed reading physical paper books, but I just bought a Kobo e-reader so I don’t have to carry heavy books around while traveling. My library has a great ebook database! I like non-fiction books about travel, science, and sociology. I recently read Everybody Lies by Seth Stephens-Davidowitz, which gave some fascinating insight into our society’s Google Search trends. Really good read!
Who are your favourite fashion icons and Instagram influencers right now?
I love Tessa Barton’s style (@tezzamb) and Chelsey Korus’s words of wisdom (@chelseykorus). And another one of my favorite accounts is my kick ass yoga teacher @gypsyloveflow.
What is your biggest, girliest guilty pleasure? (tv show, book, etc.)
My nominations for the Liebster Award
Dani | Wanderlust On A Budget
Karo | Karo Adores
Stef | Stef’s Journey
Cassie | Mexico Cassie
Katherine | The Belgian Wanderers
Jessie | Stay and Away Blog
Christopher | State by State
Kaimana | Ethos & Atlas
Rianne | Sunny Journeys
Nominees, it’s your turn to answer these 11 questions:
- What is one of your top travel tips?
- Which is your favorite mode of transportation and why?
- What new skill or activity would you like to learn?
- Where have you had an incredible meal lately?
- What are some of your hobbies besides traveling?
- How has travelling changed your life?
- What is the mission or vision of your blog?
- How did you learn how to start a blog? Did you take a course or do research on your own?
- Do you have a blogging mentor? What blogs do you look up to?
- What place is next on your travel bucket list?
- Tea or coffee? What is your favorite tea/coffee drink?
To my nominees, I hope you have as much fun with this as I did! I love the idea of the Liebster award; it’s such a nice way to promote new blogs and connect with the blogging community. Check out the official Liebster Award rules here.